Thursday 5 January 2012

Christmas Project- Geeky Kindle Cover!


As this year was the first year that I'm properly into the whole creative thing and my parents don't have Internet I thought I would set myself a Christmas project. Which was going to be a TARDIS bag for myself (it would have been bigger on the inside). However, I messed up the tension on my sewing machine and it was taking me ages to try and get it right and to be honest I gave up trying. 


I had a deadline to make a Kindle Case for my boyfriend (drunkwriter.blogspot.com) it was just typical that the only kindle case he wanted was something that money can't quite buy yet...
And as my sewing machine was annoying me I decided to make it by hand, which took about 5 days to do. Probably spending a good 4 hours at a time on.


So here it is! The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy Kindle Cover:



There is a machine on the show that provides them with information and apparently it's a lot like a kindle. This machine has 'Don't Panic' on the front in green, friendly letters. And therefore I have re-created this. 

I got this Kindle card through the post with an Amazon order which I was quite happy about because then I can measure it all up and get the right measurements. 

The Green material is felt, I used this because when you cut felt it doesn't frey. The black material is satin I think. This was a bit more difficult to work with, I had to ensure that I cut it a cm more than I needed on all sides so I was able to do the hemming.
 After I had done the hemming I ironed on firm Viline which gives the material a bit more support.

I needed one hemmed double kindle sized piece for the front with a cm gap for the middle. And the same for the back. I then worked on the letters on the front section using a clear thread. 
I put kindle sized cardboard in the middle of the material for extra support. And black Elastic on the corners of the kindle case to keep the kindle in place. And a piece on the back as a fastener.

This was all done by hand.
And there you have it really! A geeky Kindle Cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment